Review: Emma Lewisham Skin Reset Even Skin Tone Serum

Since the start of last year, I've been trying to aim for a more sustainable lifestyle, ranging from the food scraps at home being composted, to reducing my shopping, so that spending my money on fast fashion that isn't going to stand the test of time is no longer a thing. I feel like there are lots of people who are trying to make a change as well, which is great, but that has also brought out a whole host of 'clean beauty' brands and their associated marketing.

 

I'll be honest, while the concept of 'clean beauty' initially appealed to me, it quickly became apparent that isn't really a thing - I mean, I didn't really appreciate certain companies coming up with scaremongering tactics to try and persuade people to buy their products, or by coming up with what they have left out of products, with those ingredients not even being included in similar products in the first place. It's tricky marketing, and I have to say, I'm not a massive fan of it. It's a shame, because there are brands that I'd be keen to try, but I have to switch on my scientific brain and not buy into the hype, and instead, read between the lines, and take it all with a grain of salt.

What I do love, though, would be the companies that embrace what is best for Mother Earth, and yes, while there can be a lot of manipulative marketing involved still, I would like to hope that they at least aim to strive for what is a more sustainable way of dealing with beauty products and their impact, from production, through to recycling once the packaging is empty. Emma Lewisham is one of those companies, and this New Zealand based skincare brand is definitely one to try.


I believe that Emma Lewisham is the first and only skincare company that's moving towards being carbon positive, which is quite a feat. On their website, they talk about a 'circular model', where they are aiming to reduce waste by making all Emma Lewisham products refillable, which will ensure that it can be reused or recycled through their 'Emma Lewisham Beauty Circle' partnership. Given that waste contributes heavily to carbon emissions in the beauty industry, this is a great initiative that should be encouraged. They do talk about using natural ingredients and green formulations, but they also make it clear that they've done a lot of scientific research into their products. 


The Skin Reset Even Skin Tone Serum comes in a pretty, periwinkle blue glass bottle with little pink flower on it. Retailing for $140 for 30 ml of product, this is easily accessed by the firm silver pump you can find once you pull off the cap. Meant to minimise dullness of the skin while also reducing hyperpigmentation, this one serum is filled with all sorts of goodness. It contains niacinamide, 7 plant stem extracts (including prickly pear seed oil, sea buckthorn fruit oil and lemon balm extract) Edelweiss stem cells and sodium hyaluronat, which is apparently a water soluble salt that's derived from hyaluronic acid, and binds to water, but also has a lower molecular size, so that it's absorbed more effectively and penetrates deeper into the skin. 


The serum is a pale, creamy yellow, and I love the texture - it reminds be of cake batter, and this goes over the skin easily. Absorption is within a minute, and continuous use of this has led to what looks like brighter and clearer skin. It's no surprise, given that this has a Vitamin C from kakadu plum, which I absolutely love! Overall, it's a lovely serum that makes my morning skin really happy. I can't speak for it's work on the hyperpigmentation that's apparent on my skin, but being Asian, I'm prone to hyperpigmentation, so every little bit helps! It's available online here, or over here on the David Jones website. Have you heard of Emma Lewisham? What do you think of their efforts to propel themselves into being a carbon positive company?

Comments

Popular Posts