Review: Emirates A380 First Class Christchurch to Sydney


Where do I start with this one? I think that flying first class has always been lauded as the holy grail of hopping onto flights, and after taking the Emirates A380 first class from Christchurch to Sydney, I'm afraid I have been spoilt for life!

Let's start at the beginning - the service is impressive and flawless from the get go for those lucky enough to fly in the pointy end of the plane. From the staff introductions at the start, to the the trays of offered newspapers and magazines, as well as the standard hot towel, it definitely feels like first class all the way.


There are also bedroom slippers offered to you, as well as dates and some Arabic coffee - all before taking off. Let's also not forget that the all important pre-take off drink, for which I chose a glass of, what else, Dom Perignon. For your reference, I was seated in 1K, with the 1-2-1 configuration in first class.



When you first sit down, you'll find some fresh orchids (a super nice touch), as well as a writing set for the thespians among us. There is also a lit mirror that can be popped back down, as well as a little care kit located just beneath the mirror. There is also the ability to plug your electronics in so that you can charge your devices. Located in your arm rest is where you can plug in the headset so that you can watch movies and shows on the screen, and the headphones seriously cancel out a lot of sound. I barely noticed when people came over to serve drinks and dinner.






Once you've taken off, you can truly kick back and relax. The screen is easy to use, and for those who find that hard to reach, there is a tablet right next to you that you can use to control the screen. There are also little drinks in your unrefrigerated minibar, so that you don't have to get out of your seat to get to the big bar at the back of the plane, or trouble anyone for a drink - not that they'd think that it's a load of trouble at all, with the staff dancing attendance to your needs.


For those who might be unaware of this, the A380 first class seats have little doors so that you can cut yourself off from the rest of the plane, which is a particularly helpful thing for a long haul flight. It's not known as a suite for nothing. On a short three hour hop over the ditch, this is just a novelty. I kept my doors open for the most part, which just made it easier for them to keep my drinks topped up.



They took the order for dinner shortly after take off, and also checked when I'd like to take a shower, which made it easy for me to figure out how much time I had to watch a movie. The dining experience was impressive, and definitely exceeded expectations. I'm not quite accustomed to having a three course meal, and snacks, in the air, and I couldn't have been happier with my meal.




The shower was another highlight! You're permitted up to 30 minutes, I believe, in the bathroom for your shower, with only 5 minutes of hot water. Doesn't sound like much, but trust me, that's all you really need. In the bathroom, there was also a hairdryer, so for those of you who need a bit of a pick me up for the tresses, don't fret - you can definitely do that in first class! They provide a towel, as well as the essentials, like shampoo, conditioner, soap, body lotion and cleanser.





When I got out of the bathroom, I also had an amenities kit thrusted at me, and it is, to date, my favourite amenities kit! I've received a first class one from Qantas before, and as much as I'm loyal to the Roo, I can honestly say it doesn't even come close to this one.


I really liked all the extra legroom and space for my luggage, not that I had much. It also felt like there was an endless flow of snacks and a drift of people coming by to make sure that all my needs were met and that I remained comfortable - I can assure you, in first class, there's no way you're NOT comfortable.


I had the absolute fortune to fly on the Emirate A380 from Christchurch to Sydney on first class due to my frequent flyer points, and at 56, 000 points and about $80 of my own money, this experience was more than worth it. To those of us lucky and fancy enough to fly first class, I salute you. In the meantime, I'm going to get back to real life, and I look forward to my next flight - on Jetstar to Launceston!


Have you flown first class before? Do you alternate between luxury and frugal travels?

Comments

  1. Hi, did you get the EK First pyjama set on CHC-SYD flight? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning information read today. And my search for the 4 star hotel with long term stay ends today and i already found it. Never misses the experience what i dreamed when i comes to dubai. Obviously, you will be finding the best hotel in Dubai for sure for a comfort stay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts