Taking Care of Your Needs: A Basic Kit for Everyday Life


Happy Thursday! So while this isn't entirely beauty related, I would just like to talk about something that we need to think about now that the world has changed - if the contents of your handbag/backpack/tiny purse haven't adjusted to what's going on globally right now, then this post is meant to help you get organized, just so you don't get caught out!

I went to the dog park with one of my friend recently, and went around a popular spot in the Inner West here in Sydney. We popped into one of the public toilets while we were out, only to discover that the water wasn't running at that spot. Not fantastic, and my friend was a little flustered, which was fair - I mean, a public park, without running water, in the middle of a pandemic? Definitely not a genius idea. She quipped that it would have been fantastic to have some hand sanitizer, and wouldn't you know, I just had some on me, in the pocket of my hoodie. She thought it was funny, and said she wished she could be as organized as me one day - another joke, obviously, as I'm not that organized a person, but it did prompt me to think that you guys might benefit from a quick peek into what I've been storing in my bag.

Ok, so, if you're not carrying a hand sanitizer around with you wherever you go, then you need to really rethink that. These come in a variety of sizes, so if you can only find a large bottle of it, consider decanting it into a smaller one so that you can always have some on you. Considering that a lot of brands, including Sephora and Merci Handy, happen to be making these, and that these are readily available now, this would be a good time to grab them when you are adding that next eyeshadow palette to your cart. Remember that you need to be rubbing your hands together until they're dry, and get a decent dollop of this out - don't be stingy with it! The other thing to think about is that you may want to get a clip or some sort of holder so that you can keep it on the outside of your handbag - this means that you don't have to rummage around your bag, touching everything with dirty hands and contaminating it all, before you actually find it.

Hand cream is a must - from the Winter winds to all the handwashing that we're doing, we have to take care to replenish the moisture that we are losing. I have a little tube on me at all times, and if you're looking for another good read about what you should consider, then you should stick around, because I have a post about hand creams going up very shortly! 

Ahh, yes, the ever controversial mask. While I do agree that masking up is to protect other people from you, rather than to protect yourself against the virus, doesn't it just make sense for everyone to mask up, so that we can all take care of one another? It really seems like a basic concept, yet it's become so heavily politicized that we're taking sides on something that should just be straightforward. I always have a spare disposable mask on me, because you never know when one is needed these days.

Here's a little thing that we all probably have had in our bags at one point, but may not always have on us - a pen! Given that this is something that is commonly passed around, and often without further thought, you can be forgiven for not remembering to carry one on you at all time. That said, it can be considered a vector - something that will allow for the propagation of diseases, because, well, it's something that you may touch, pass onto someone else, then have that be moved onto yet another person. Be safe - carry your own.

And now, onto the boring staples - I always carry wet wipes with me, and this seems more important now, with having to wipe down surfaces. It's also a good thing to use if you're low on hand sanitiser, and for those random sticky patches that you just seem to run into. Tissues are just good for everything! From makeshift masks to blowing your nose, I never regret taking a pack with me wherever I go.  

Boring though this may be, consider this your public service announcement and reminder for our current way of life. I'd love to hear what you include in your everyday pack - what do you think I need to include?

*Hand cream was provided for editorial consideration 

Comments

Popular Posts